Almond-cornmeal Strawberry Shortcakes
Recipe: FOR SHORTCAKES
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for tins
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- FOR FILLING
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Make shortcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 6 jumbo muffin tins (each 1-cup capacity); set aside.
- In a food processor, blend 1/2 cup sliced almonds with sugar until finely ground. Add butter, eggs, vanilla, and salt; process until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary (mixture may appear curdled at this point). Add flour and cornmeal; pulse just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup sliced almonds. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cakes 5 minutes in pan; remove from pan, and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Make filling: Hull and quarter strawberries. In a medium bowl, combine with 1/3 cup sugar. Let stand until syrupy, tossing occasionally, at least 20 minutes (and up to 6 hours, covered and refrigerated).
- In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, whip cream with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar until soft peaks form.
- With a serrated knife, split cooled shortcakes horizontally. Place bottom halves on serving plates. Dividing evenly, layer with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream; cover with shortcake tops.